Lapsing building consents

Once you have been issued with a building consent, construction must start within 12 months of the date of issue, or the building consent will lapse automatically.  If you’re likely to need an extension, please get in touch with us as soon as possible.  We can talk through the reasons and advise you on the extension application process.

If you think that you may require an extension of time to start your building work, you must obtain an extension of time within 12 months from the date of issue of your building consent.  We have discretion to allow an extension of time within that 12-month period.

If you apply for an extension of time after the 12-month anniversary of the issue date of your building consent, we cannot consider granting an extension of time.  Your building consent will have lapsed and you will have to reapply for a new building consent.