Make a complaint

Find out how to make a complaint to the Hutt City Council about the building consent process.

How to make a complaint

As a Building Consent Authority, our Building Team welcomes feedback from our customers.

We want to hear from you if you feel dissatisfied with any part of our service relating to building consent processing, inspection or issuing certificates and other documentation.

You can contact us by phone, in person or in writing.

What to include

When you make a formal complaint, include:

  • your first and last name
  • your phone number
  • your address
  • a detailed description of your complaint
  • any Hutt City Council reference numbers you have that relate to the problem, such as your service request number
  • the names of any Hutt City Council staff you've been speaking with
  • copies of any relevant letters, photographs or emails.

What happens next

  • We'll reply to your email within 24 hours to let you know that your complaint has been received.
  • We'll try to respond with next steps within 3 working days.
  • If you are unhappy with a process or technical decision made by us about your building consent (and this matter can't be resolved) please refer the matter to MBIE for a determination.

More information

Contact details