Find out which Hutt City Council consents and permissions you may need if you're planning a project that involves moving or removing earth (soil and/or rocks).

About earthworks

A project involves earthworks if you're removing, relocating or depositing earth. Earth includes soil, clay and rock.

If you're planning on doing earthworks, you might need a resource consent depending on where you're doing the work, and the size of your project.

Why you might need resource consent

The resource consent process makes sure that your earthworks project won't:

  • cause instability on your property, neighbouring properties or publicly-owned land
  • pollute waterways with sediment
  • create problems that bother your neighbours.

When you might need resource consent

The rules around earthworks are in the District Plan.

If your project doesn't meet the criteria for your area, you'll need resource consent.

To find out if your project needs resource consent, you should

  • talk to a Council planning technician
  • hire a professional (i.e. planning consultant, architect, or draughtsperson).

Contact details