How to apply for a resource consent

Find out what you need to do to apply for a resource consent.

To apply for a resource consent, you need to provide:

  • a completed application - either submitted online or download an application form (PDF 173 kb)
  • an assessment of environmental effects (PDF 221 kb)
  • a covering letter outlining your proposal
  • plans of your proposal (to a scale of either 1:100 or 1:200)
  • if applicable:
    • the legal description of the site and street address
    • a Certificate of Title for the property (no more than three months old) and copies of any relevant interests on the title, such as consent notices and covenants
    • the type, location and size of your proposed activity
    • details of any consultation you’ve completed
    • written approvals from affected parties (PDF 134 kb) Note: they need to sign the plans as well as the form so we know they've seen them
    • if a building is involved, plans of your proposed activity, including elevations and floor plans
    • features of the site, including levels or contours
    • an indication of car parking layouts and access points
    • details of off-site effects such as traffic generation, shadowing and noise generation
    • details of landscaping, fencing and storage areas.

Once you have all of the documents mentioned above, you (or your representative) can submit your application online.

Apply for a resource consent online

Apply for final Certification for Subdivision (223c or 224c) online

Complete and sign the relevant documents

Check that you have:

  • completed all the required documents and checklists accurately and in full
  • signed and dated the documents where required
  • gathered together any other required forms, plans, specifications and supporting documents.

Sort your documents

Application documents

The main application-related documents that you’ll need to provide are:


The plans you send could include:

  • architectural plans
  • earthworks plans
  • mechanical plans
  • landscaping plans.

Please make sure that all plans are provided in landscape format and are no larger than A1 in size.

Supporting documents

These are documents that support your application and are not covered by the other categories. They include:

Convert the documents to PDFs

  • Scan hard copy documents to PDF format.
  • Use a resolution of at least 300dpi
  • Ensure that the PDF files aren’t locked or password protected.
  • Name the files with the four headings at the beginning of the filename: Application, Plans, Specifications and Supporting Documents.

Please don’t zip your files - our online portal can accept large files.

Note: When applying for final certification for subdivision (223c and 224c) you’ll need to have Java installed to upload the folders and their contents.

You can pay for your resource consent application fees in the following ways:

  • with credit card or EFTPOS online
  • internet banking:
    • Account Name: Hutt City Council
    • Account No: 03-0531-0429500-04
    • Quote the application number (RM ...)
  • in person using cash, credit card or EFTPOS at our main building, 30 Laings Road,

Resource consent fees

Contact details