Find out how and when to pay your rates.
Pay your rates by direct debit
You can arrange a direct debit to make regular weekly, fortnightly or monthly deductions of agreed amounts. You also have the option to make payments every second month.
These amounts are automatically adjusted for you each year when your rates change, so you don’t need to visit your bank. Each time you receive a rate account it'll show the amount and date of agreed deductions in that period.
How to set up a direct debit payment
- Download the direct debit authority form (PDF 38 kb)
- Fill it out and sign it
- Send it to us by:
- dropping it off at our main building, 30 Laings Road
- posting it to us
- emailing it to email@example.com.
You can view all sorts of rates information and pay online using our online portal.
Other payment options
You can also make your payment by:
- Automatic payment
- Direct credit
- Telephone banking
- Internet banking
To pay using any of these methods, quote your account number (as shown under the property details in your payment reference) and make payment into our bank account:
Westpac New Zealand Limited
Insert your Property Account No.
If you’re paying by automatic payment, make sure you pay each instalment in full by the due date to avoid any late payment penalties.
Other online payment methods
If you already know how much you need to pay, you can pay directly in one of two ways:
- POLi secure online banking system.
- Credit card. To pay online using your credit card, you'll need:
- Your account number which you can find under the property details on your instalment notice
- A Visa or MasterCard credit card.
- Westpac provides this service and charges a convenience fee of 2.1% of your total payment, with a minimum fee of $3.50. Council doesn’t receive any part of this fee.
Pay your rates in person
You can pay your rates in person by EFTPOS (excluding credit card) at our building at 30 Laings Road or at selected NZ Post locations. If you’re paying at a PostShop, please take your rates invoice with you.
Rates can also be paid at Greater Wellington Regional Council offices at 100 Cuba Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011 or 34 Chapel Street, Masterton.
Get help paying your rates
- We may be able to help with a payment plan or postponement.
- If you're on a low income, you may be eligible for a rates rebate.
- Council offers a range of rates remissions (reduction in rates) including remissions for Māori and protected land, community, sports and other organisations, and economic development.