Find out what we're doing to develop Hutt City.
Wainuiomata Town Centre Framework and Streetscape Plan
Hutt City Council is working on a Wainuiomata Town Centre Framework and Streetscape Plan to:
- Upgrade Queen Street
- Redevelop the Wainuiomata Mall site
- Bring to life elements of the community’s vision for the Wainuiomata Town Centre.
The proposed major upgrade of Queen Street aims to create a space that is vibrant, safe and attractive.
The timeframe is:
- Developed design stage: August - November 2021
- Construction stage: starts early 2022
Work on Wainuiomata Town Centre Framework and Streetscape Plan started in late 2020. McIndoe Urban Ltd and Local have been contracted to develop the Queen Street Streetscape Plan.
The plan builds on 2015 Wainuiomata Development Plan developed by Love Wainuiomata in collaboration with Council and consultation with the community.
Feedback on the initial concept design was collected from Tuesday 6 April to Thursday 6 May 2021.
After taking on board feedback from the community the initial concept was revised and presented to the Council on 14 July 2021.
The concept was approved by council to move to the next stage of design before the final stage of construction.
For more information
- Wainuiomata Development Plan (PDF 11.3MB)
- Wainuiomata Town Centre Framework and Streetscape Plan (PDF 101.6MB)
- Wainuiomata Spatial Plan feedback report (PDF 1.2MB)
- Wainuiomata Town Centre Concept presentation (PDF 66.1MB
- Part 1 - Background and framework overview (PDF 4.6MB)
- Part 2 - Queen Street Area Upgrade (PDF 4.6MB)