Find out about what you can do at Motutawa Avalon Park, where it is, and how to request a booking.
Motutawa Avalon Park is a six-hectare park located between the western side of the suburb of Avalon and the Hutt River, owned and managed by Hutt City Council.
It has a great range of features, including the Motutawa Avalon Park Playground, which opened in 2016. One of the most extensive and modern playgrounds in New Zealand, it's a great destination for families from around the region.
61 Taita Drive, Avalon, Lower Hutt 5011
- playground with play equipment for children with disabilities
- picnic tables
- beginners’ cycle circuit with various intersections and surfaces
- Lions Club model train (charge applies)
- Lions Club mini putt golf with ice cream and drink sales (charges apply)
- public toilets
- free electric barbecues, picnic tables and seating
- model marine boating pond - used by the Model Marine Boat Club
- public tennis court and Avalon Tennis Club
- open lawn areas
- links to the Hutt River Trail
- historical information panel
- the “Smiling Windmills” sculptures
- skate Park near Fairway Drive
- free Pétanque Piste
Dogs are only allowed:
- on-lead at the north end of the park, past the treeline
- on-lead on the designated sealed paths. The paths are stamped with yellow dog walking signs. If there is no yellow stamp, you can’t walk your dog there.
Dogs are not allowed:
- in the bike and scooter area next to the train tunnel
- on the bridge over the duck pond
- on the pathway that goes around the pond – excluding the section next to the mini golf for access between the southern carpark and Avalon Park Drive
- in the main playground next to Avalon Pavilion
- in the skateboard area at the south end of the Park.
- Telephone: 04 570 6666 | 0800 HUTT CITY
- Email: email@example.com