Anzac Day national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand - find out how we remember our servicemen and women.
About ANZAC Day
Anzac Day is observed annually on 25 April.
It honours New Zealanders killed in war and honours returned and serving servicemen and women.
The date marks the anniversary of the landing of Australian and New Zealand soldiers (the Anzacs) on the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915. The aim was to capture the Dardanelles and open a sea route to the Bosphorus and the Black Sea. At the end of the campaign, Gallipoli was still held by its Ottoman Turkish defenders.
Thousands lost their lives during the Gallipoli campaign, including 2779 New Zealanders.
On 25 April, ceremonies are held at war memorials all across New Zealand, and in places overseas where New Zealanders gather.
Lower Hutt Cenotaph maps
We have two maps to help us remember those who fought for us:
- Lower Hutt and Petone Cenotaphs Map Journal.
Addresses for 29 of the men commemorated on the Petone and Lower Hutt Cenotaphs, combined with short sketches and photos.
- Map of addresses for Lower Hutt's WW1 men.
Addresses and information of the 188 men who died in WW1 and are honoured on the Petone and Lower Hutt Cenotaphs.
Where to find an ANZAC ceremony near you
- 5:45am - Parade assembles outside the Town Hall on Laings Road
- 6:00am - Service begins on the Anzac Memorial Lawn, Queens Drive
- 9.45am - Service begins on the Anzac Memorial Lawn, Queens Drive
- 7am ANZAC Memorial Flagstaff, Petone Railway Station
Bracken Street Service
- 8.15am Parade assembles in Bracken Street
- 8.30am Service begins, Garden of Remembrance, Memorial Park
- 9.40am Parade assembles at Ballinger Park, Oroua Street
- 10am Service begins, Memorial Gates, Muritai Road
- 11am Service begins, Stokes Valley RSA, Hawthorn Crescent
- 11am Parade assembles at Taita Lawn Cemetery Gate, Rimu Street, Naenae
- 11.15am Service begins, Taita Lawn Cemetery, Naenae
- 6am Service begins, Memorial Gardens, Hine Road
- 10.50am Parade assembles at the BP Service Station, Wainuiomata Road
- 11am ANZAC Day Service in the car park behind the Wainuiomata Neighhourhood Hub, Queen Street
All are welcome to attend.