Older people

Hutt City Council is committed to making Lower Hutt a great place to live for people of all ages, for now and the future. Find out what services are available to older people living here.


Mobility parking stickers are issued by CCS Disability Action in Lower Hutt.

Contact CCS on 0800 227 2255 for more information.

Mobility Parking locations in Lower Hutt (PDF 1 Mb)

CCS Disability Action

Clubs and societies

Probus is a Rotary club service that offers member benefits like international and domestic travel, day trips, luncheons and plenty of opportunities to meet new people. There are lots of groups within the Hutt Valley.

Find a Probus group near you

A multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, senior migrant citizens' society with members from 13 countries. Members meet to socialise, participate in recreational activities, share cultural and craft skills, relate with others in the community and integrate into New Zealand society.

Meets at the Waiwhetu Uniting Church Community Hall, 2 Trafalgar Street, Waiwhetu, Lower Hutt.

Telephone: 04 568 8915
Email: saldin@orcon.net.nz

We support a number of community centres and houses in the Hutt region that provide programmes and activities for seniors.  Each community centre has programmes for older people who want to socialise or get active.

Find your nearest local community centre.

Wesley Community Action works in communities throughout Wellington to help people create better lives for themselves and their whānau.

Telephone: 04 567 0023
Email:  COConnor@wesleyca.org.nz


Find out more about local GPs and services.

Low cost residential options for seniors

Urban Plus is a Council-controlled organisation that supplies rental residential properties for seniors in Lower Hutt. You can apply for housing through their website.

Urban Plus

If you would like to apply for public housing, including a Kainga Ora home (formerly Housing New Zealand), your first step is to talk to Work and Income about your housing needs. They'll discuss your situation with you and look at the best way to help. Then, if you are eligible to be considered for the public housing register, they'll arrange an assessment interview for you.

To get started, call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 or Senior Services on 0800 552 002 if you're over 65.

Kainga Ora

For up-to-date, alternative housing options, we recommend contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Citizen's Advice Bureau