Published: 13 July 2022
The following elections will be held by postal vote on Saturday 8 October 2022.
Hutt City Council
(First Past the Post electoral system)
- Election of the mayor
- Election of one councillor for the Western Ward
- Election of one councillor for the Harbour Ward
- Election of one councillor for the Northern Ward
- Election of one councillor for the Central Ward
- Election of one councillor for the Wainuiomata Ward
- Election of six councillors city wide
- Election of five members for the Eastbourne Community Board
- Election of six members for the Petone Community Board
- Election of six members for the Wainuiomata Community Board
In addition to the above elections a Poll will be held to determine the electoral system to be used for future elections. The poll result will be binding and will determine whether the electoral system to be used for the 2025 and 2028 triennial general elections for Hutt City Council (and its community boards) and any associated election is to be conducted under the First Past the Post (FPP) or Single Transferable Vote (STV) electoral system.
Candidate names will be listed in random order on the voting papers.
Nominations for the listed positions open on Friday 15 July 2022 and must be made on the appropriate nomination form for each position. Nomination forms and a candidate information handbook can be found either on the Hutt City Council website, or by request to the electoral officer via the contact options listed below. Completed nomination documents must be received by the electoral officer no later than 12noon on Friday 12 August 2022. Each nomination must be accompanied by a deposit of $200 incl GST, payable by eftpos, cash or on-line banking (see candidate handbook for requirements).
Candidates are encouraged to submit a candidate profile statement and colour photograph with their nomination, for sending out with voting documents to electors. The requirements for profile statements and photos are set out in the candidate handbook which is available with the nomination forms. All nomination documents must be lodged together.
Preliminary electoral rolls for these elections can be inspected at the following locations during office hours from Friday 15 July 2022 to Friday 12 August 2022.
- Hutt City Council Office, 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt
- Eastbourne Library, Rimu Street, Eastbourne
- Moera Library, Randwick Road, Moera
- Naenae Library, Hillary Court, Naenae
- Petone Library, Britannia Street, Petone
- Koraunui Stokes Valley Community Hub, Stokes Valley
- Walter Nash Centre, Taine Street, Taita
- Wainuiomata Library, Queen Street, Wainuiomata
- War Memorial Library, Cnr Queens Drive and Woburn Road, Lower Hutt
Electors may enrol or amend their enrolment details on the residential electoral roll by contacting the Electoral Commission:
- Online at www.vote.nz
- By texting your name and address to 3676 to get a form sent to you
- By calling 0800 36 76 56 to ask for a form to be sent to you
- By email request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Updates to the preliminary electoral roll close at 5pm on Friday 12 August 2022.
Applications for registration as a ratepayer elector are to be made on the non-resident ratepayer elector enrolment form and must be returned to the Hutt City Council electoral officer before 5pm Friday 12 August 2022. Online applications for ratepayer elector registration can be made through the non-resident ratepayer portal: www.electionz.com/ratepayer
Electoral Officer – Hutt City Council
Hutt City Council, 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt 5040.
027 482 0461