Find out about carparking changes on Everest Ave at the new Naenae Pool and Fitness Centre.
Naenae Pool & Fitness Centre
Improvements for pedestrians, shoppers and pool users
Hutt City Council is consulting with the Naenae Community about changes to carparks and footpaths around the new Naenae Pool and Fitness Centre.
The Pool will bring back over 450,000 annual visitors to Naenae and we need to ensure there is safe, universal access for the whole community while visiting the pool and the Naenae shops.
In line with our Integrated Transport Strategy, there will be ample bicycle parking and easy access to public transport, along with a carpark for pool users with 28 parks and EV chargers.
We want community feedback to inform any potential changes needed to the proposed plan.
Currently there are four mobility parks adjacent to the entrance of Hillary Court and angled parking either side of the pedestrian crossing. Changes will be necessary to complement the new Pool and Fitness Centre and will mostly affect the East side (opposite the shops) of Everest Avenue as follows:
At the Northern end (from the existing pedestrian crossing to opposite Naenae Chemist):
- The existing kerb line and angled parking will be maintained.
- The existing drop-off for buses will be maintained and enhanced with new road markings.
- The existing pathway will be widened to provide for improved access to the pool and Hillary Court.
At the Southern end (from the existing pedestrian crossing opposite Trade School Kitchen to opposite Naenae Hotel):
- We’re adding two mobility-impaired parks in front of the centre to be more convenient for pool users.
- These parks will be parallel to the road to enable users to exit their vehicle safely and will be longer to allow for mini-buses and wheelchair users to exit from the rear of the vehicle.
- The adjacent pathway will be widened to provide improved access to the pool entrance and Hillary Court (via the existing pedestrian crossing) for all pedestrians.
- The number of parking spaces on the East side of Everest Ave will reduce from 19 to 8, however 28 new parking spaces will be added in the car park at the rear of the pool on Everest Ave. Separate access for pool vehicles servicing will be via Vogel Street.
There is no change to the road width or the road speed although consideration will be given to improving the safety of the set-down kerb crossings at either end of Everest Ave.
View from the South end of Everest Ave of the new parallel parks and entrance to pool carpark.
How can the Community provide feedback?
E-mail us: email@example.com
Or by correspondence to: Hutt City Council, 30 Laings Road, Private Bag, Lower Hutt 5040
All feedback is requested by 31st March 2023.
We’ll collect your feedback and any changes will be first approved by Hutt City Council Transport sub-committee and then published on the Council’s website.
The new Naenae Pool & Fitness Centre carpark on Everest Ave with 28 parking spaces.
View civil works diagrams of the area below:
Civil works external hardstand areas sheet 1
Not as part of the works connected to the opening of the pool.
The number of parking spaces on the East side of Everest Avenue will reduce from 19 to 8, however 28 new parking spaces will be added at the rear of the new Pool with a dedicated car park with spaces for families and chargers for electric vehicles.
Yes, there will be two directly outside the pool entrance and two in the pool car park.
Yes, there will be two directly outside the pool entrance and two in the Pool car park.
Yes, two EV chargers will be installed to service four EV parks.
Yes, the centre and surrounding access areas will be on one level allowing for easy access for all pool users.
Ample bike parking will be available outside the centre. We’re improving pedestrian access with a widened kerb at the Southern end of Everest Ave and reinstating the existing pedestrian crossing at the entrance to Hillary Court.