Find out about the projects we're doing in Naenae: rebuilding the Naenae Pool and rejuvenating the city centre.
About the Naenae Pool and Fitness Centre project
We are building a new pool and fitness centre in Naenae, replacing the original 1950s pool. The new Naenae Pool and Fitness Centre is one of the most significant infrastructure projects we have underway. It is part of other work within Naenae to revitalise the town centre and the local economy. The new pool will open 2024 returning this much-loved facility to our Hutt communities as well as aquatic sports groups across the Hutt Valley and wider Wellington region.
Work on the new pool began following an extensive community consultation project in 2019. In 2021 we went back out to the community with draft concept designs and the Voice of the Community Part 2 is the result of that engagement.
About the Project
- Demolition of the old pool and the neighbouring community hall will be completed in May.
- Application for resource consent has been submitted
- Application for building consent will be submitted in the coming months.
- Preparation of the site for construction will begin in June.
- Construction on track to begin mid 2022 (consents pending)
- New Pool and Fitness Centre to open mid to late 2024
Late 2021 we shared the concept plans and designs for the new facility. Overall feedback showed we had things right with most saying they were happy with the modern, light and accessibly friendly centre.
The new pool and fitness centre will include:
- 50m pool – 10 lanes wide
- 1 bulkhead to enable multi-use of the main pool
- Zoom Tube
- Spectator seating for 500 people
- Shallow leisure pool and splash pool for young children
- Deep leisure pool with ramp access and seating area with hydro jets
- Special poolside party room for birthday etc
- Fitness Room and Gym
- Improved connection to the outside space
- Improved access with single level across all public spaces.
In 2021 Council approved a budget of $68m as part of the 10-year plan. In 2020 Council received co-funding of $27M from central government as part of investment in COVID Response and Recovery, which will be managed through a partnership with Crown Infrastructure Projects (CIP).
Naenae Town Centre project
As part of the consultation in 2019 the Naenae community laid out it's vision for their town centre.
This resulted in the development of the Naenae Spatial Plan showing how the Naenae town centre may be transformed in a way to support the community's vision.
Due to the close dependencies of these two projects the Naenae Pool and Spatial Plan Projects were combined in October 2020 to better align opportunities. We continue to work closely with the Community Advisory Group (CAG) to keep the voice of the community part of ongoing projects in and around Hillary Court.
Naenae Post Office development
The former Naenae Post Office will soon be home to a community kitchen, flexible open plan spaces and shared office styled meeting rooms as major redevelopment of the iconic landmark building gets underway. Council acquired the building late last year and following co-design workshops with the Community Advisory Group, have finalised concept plans that will be shared with the wider community. We are working with CAG to develop the building that will attract community groups, workers, and small businesses into the heart of the town centre.
Developed design work will be progressing through to July, leading to an application for resource consent. Tenders will be called late 2022 and Council expects to be able to begin work on the development early in 2023.