Wainuiomata Public Art
Hutt City Council is calling out to local artists, or artists who have a strong connection to Wainuiomata, for expressions of interest in developing two pieces of public art in Wainuiomata. Expressions of Interest close Sunday 21 May.
The two pieces of public art will take the form of:
- A playable sculpture located in the public space on Queens Street in front of the Wainuiomata Neighbourhood Hub
- A mural for the half Basketball Court (and accompanying backboard) beside the Community Hall.
The project aim is for the mural on the basketball court to be completed by June 2023. The timing for the sculpture is to be negotiated.
In terms of overall outcomes from a Council perspective we are looking for the following:
- That the sculpture and mural responds
- to the Cultural overlay for Wainuiomata,
- and the public realm design
- That the sculpture is playable (it considers the local young people that spend a lot of time in this public space)
- That the artist(s) selected have connections to Wainuiomata and if possible are Wainuiomata or Lower Hutt based.
Please refer to the documents listed below for further background details on this project:
- Wainuiomata Cultural Expression
- Wainuiomata Public Art Brief
- Wainuiomata Development Plan
- Wainuiomata Town Centre Framework and Streetscape Plan
- Wainuiomata Spatial Plan Feedback Report
- Wainuiomata Town Centre Concept Presentation
How to submit
View the Wainuiomata Public Art Brief then complete the submission form including the following:
- PDF file with your proposal (including previous artworks, concept drawings, draft budget, timeline, logistics, assistance or support needed, and key considerations as mentioned above)
- PDF file 1-page Curriculum Vitae
Expressions of Interest should be received no later than 12pm (midday), Sunday 21 May 2023.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org