In July 2022, three landslips occurred on the hillside above Eastern Hutt Road between the Stokes Valley and Pomare roundabouts, impacting the road and several nearby properties.
What we’re doing
We’re spending $27.5 million to fix the three slip sites and improve the resilience of the whole Eastern Hutt Road corridor.
This is about doing it once and doing it right – through these works and other remediation, we’re future-proofing the area against future slips.
We know the traffic delays have been frustrating. We’re working at pace to get the work done as quickly as possible and appreciate the patience of those who are affected while we carry out these essential works.
The road will fully re-open in March 2024 when works are complete.
Stay up to date
What’s the latest
- Site C: Following the completion of all works at this site, the southbound lane from Pomare roundabout to 300m north of that intersection is open! This means there are two southbound lanes available for road users in the area.
- Site B:
- We’ve now cleared the slope at this site of vegetation and the scaling works (removing loose debris) are on track to be completed this week.
- Next week – once the scaling works are finished and the site is cleared – the roadside containers will be removed.
- We’ll have a crane on site in early October for installing anchors into the hillside.
- Once anchors are in place, a concrete (shotcrete) wall will be installed followed by erosion-control matting.
- Works at this site are still on track to be completed in March 2024.
- Site A: We continue to clear debris at the base of this site in preparation for the laying of the catch fence’s foundation. Works at this site are also scheduled to be finished by March 2024.
Currently, one lane southbound and one lane northbound are available for road users along Eastern Hutt Road between Stokes Valley and Pomare roundabouts. This is with the exception of the second southbound lane from Pomare roundabout to 300m north of that intersection which is now open, given works at site C are finished. Over the Christmas period, the whole southbound lane that’s closed will be re-opened to provide a second lane for those heading south.
We’re holding another drop-in session for the community at the Kōraunui Stokes Valley Hub this Sunday to talk with you and answer questions (click on the link below for more information and to sign-up for event reminders on Facebook):
Northern Ward Councillor Naomi Shaw is also holding regular drop-in sessions. Her sessions are held at the hub on the first Tuesday of every month from 10.30am to 12.30pm (the next one is on Tuesday 3 October).
|January - March 2023||Design of the engineering works|
|March - April 2023||Procurement of the contractors to do the works|
|May 2023 - March 2024||Physical works|
|March 2024||Road fully open after all works have been completed and lanes reinstated|
Frequently asked questions
Find our frequently asked questions here