About Local Government Elections

Find out about our local elections and how to vote in them.

About our local elections

Elections for local authorities are held every 3 years in New Zealand.

Residents and ratepayers have the chance to vote for:

  • Mayor
  • Councillors
  • Community Boards
  • Hutt Mana Charitable Trust
  • Greater Wellington Regional Council.

Representation Review

Local authorities are required by the Local Electoral Act 2001 to review their representation arrangements at least once every six years. A representation review includes looking at the balance of elected representation between general seats and local ward seats, the shape of ward boundaries, and the voting system to be used (first past the post or single transferable voting (STV)). Council can also review the inclusion of Māori wards in its governance structure. The purpose of the review is to ensure that there is fair representation of the community across all wards, community subdivisions and constituencies.

Council’s last representation review was undertaken in 2018, ahead of the 2019 Local Government elections. Therefore, Council has to undertake a representation review in time for the next Local Government elections, in 2025. You can find out about the review here.

Election wards

Hutt City is made up of 6 wards for electoral purposes:

  • Central Ward
  • Eastern Ward
  • Harbour Ward
  • Northern Ward
  • Wainuiomata Ward
  • Western Ward.

Where you live determines which ward you get to vote in.

Our interactive wards map shows the boundaries of Lower Hutt's 6 wards.

To check what ward you're in, go to the wards map and type in your address.

Enrol to vote

To be able to vote in Local Elections you need to be enrolled first.

How to enrol to vote

You can enrol to vote if:

  • you are 18 years or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand for more than one (1) year continuously at some time in your life.

Note: You do not need to enrol if you are already on the Electoral Roll for Parliamentary Elections.

If you've changed address since the last election you'll need to update it on the electoral roll.

Electoral rolls are available at our libraries and at the Laings Road Administration building if you want to check your details.

To enrol, get an enrolment form or update your details either:

  • go to the Vote NZ website
  • call 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56)
  • visit any PostShop.

Non-resident ratepayers

If you pay rates on property in Lower Hutt but live outside Lower Hutt you may be able to enrol as a ratepayer elector. People on the Ratepayer Roll can vote in the area they live in and the area where they are registered on the Ratepayer Roll.

If you qualify for the Ratepayer roll and would like to vote you need to apply to the electoral officer.

Download the enrolment form for ratepayer electors (PDF 87.5 kb)