Certificate for Public Use

Find out what you need to do if you would like to use part of a new public building before it has a code compliance certificate

You’ll need to apply for a Certificate for Public Use if:

  • you want to occupy all or part of a building that’s open to or used by members of the public
  • the area intended to be occupied is still affected by building work
  • you have a building consent for the work (granted since 31 March 2005) but no Code Compliance Certificate has been issued.

The Certificate for Public Use states that premises or parts of premises affected by building work are safe to be used by members of the public.

Note you must still apply for a Code Compliance Certificate when all the building work done under the building consent has been completed.

How much does it cost?

There is a fee to lodge a Certificate for Public Use. Refer to our Building Consents fees list

Ready to apply?

Please apply through Objective Build

Please submit this Certificate for Public Use checklist (PDF 106 kb) when you apply online to make sure you have everything covered.