Make changes to a building consent

Find out what changes you can make to a building consent.

If you want to change your building plans while we’re processing your consent application or when the building work is underway, let us know as soon as possible.

You’ll need to send us:

Note: You'll have to pay a fee to make changes to your building consent.

Building consent fees

If the change is not significantly different from the approved building consent plans and specifications, you can request approval for a minor variation.

Examples of minor variation include:

  • substituting similar products (eg, one internal lining for a similar internal lining minor wall bracing changes)
  • minor construction change (eg, changing the framing method used around a window)
  • changing a room's layout (eg, repositioning fixtures in a bathroom).

Note: If you're requesting a minor variation, you must do it before starting the work.

Contact details