Find out what building work is exempt from needing a building consent and how to apply for an exemption.
How it works
Schedule 1 was amended on 28 November 2013 by the Building Amendment Act 2013 with the intent of making the exemptions easier to use.
A new section (section 42A of the Building Act) was added to the Building Act to clarify:
- what type of building work is exempt from requiring a building consent
- who can carry it out; and
- what other conditions apply.
This discretionary exemption can be issued on the basis of:
- the completed building work is likely to comply with the building code; or
- if the completed building work does not comply with the building code, it is unlikely to endanger people or any building, whether on the same land or on other property.
Building and Planning Technicians are available at the 30 Laings Rd counter without an appointment. Come in and talk to us before applying. We'll talk it through, let you know if you also need a resource consent and advise you on the next steps.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +64 04 570 6666 | 0800 488 824