What happens once you have a building consent

Once you have your building consent, you can get your project underway.

Before starting work, you need to carefully read any conditions of your building consent. In certain instances the proposed building work cannot start until a resource consent has been obtained. If this is the case there will be a condition or notice attached to your building consent.

Building work must start within 12 months of the building consent being issued -  otherwise the consent lapses. If you’re likely to need an extension, please get in touch. We can talk through the reasons and advise you on the extension application process.

Here are some important things to remember during the building process.

  • If your project involves restricted building work, you must get in touch with us before the work starts. We’ll need to see that you’ve employed licensed building practitioners to do the work.
  • You and your contractors must read, understand and comply with the requirements of the building consent, and follow any notes to ensure that you and the building project comply with the Building Act 2004.
  • If your building project also requires resource consent, you will need to wait until resource consent has been issued before you can start work. You will also need to make sure you comply with any conditions of the resource consent.
  • If your building work involves new connections to our wastewater, stormwater and/or water services, you will need to apply and pay fees
  • Your building consent lists the inspections required at stages of the building project. These can include inspections of the foundations, framing and insulation, plumbing, drainage, and claddings and flashings. Please read our guide to building inspections (PDF 237 kb) – it covers everything you need to know and do.
  • You’re responsible for ensuring that all the inspections are completed, as without them you may not get a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) for the work. You can book an inspection by phoning us on 04 570 6754 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Note we need at least 24 hours’ notice for an inspection.
  • You must have your approved plans and other documents on site at all times during the inspection process (either electronically or in hard copy).
  • Once the work is complete, the consent holder must apply for a CCC. This includes providing the relevant energy work certificates supplied by electricians, gasfitters, etc. If the project has involved restricted building work, you’ll also need to provide a Record of Building Work from each appropriate licensed building practitioner.
  • After you have applied for a CCC, Council assesses the information and then calls you to book a final inspection.
  • If you haven’t applied for a CCC within two years from the date the building consent was granted we are required to decide whether to issue a CCC, unless we've agreed to extend the timeframe for making that decision.
  • If your building is multi-unit residential, industrial or commercial and has specified systems, we’ll issue you with a Compliance Schedule. This covers the maintenance, inspection and reporting requirements for any ‘specified systems’ in the building. Examples of these are emergency lighting or automatic fire-suppression systems.
  • You’re responsible for ensuring that the schedule's requirements are met and, on each anniversary of the schedule, supplying us with a Building Warrant of Fitness.

Record of Building Work Form (PDF 159 kb)