Temporary buildings

Find out what consents you may need if you're putting up a temporary building on your property.

About temporary buildings

Temporary buildings are structures like:

  • marquees
  • grandstand seating
  • Portacoms
  • stages that are more than 1m high.

Some of these temporary structures don't need a building consent, some will need an exemption approval and some might need a building consent. Talk to us about your project and we'll let you know what to apply for.

Note: All building work must comply with the building code and relevant legislation.

What you need to put up a temporary building

If you’re planning to put up a temporary building, you may need:

  • a building consent
  • a resource consent depending on the building’s location, size and how long it’s going to be up.

Before you apply

Talk to us before you apply for a consent for a temporary building. We’ll be happy to talk through your project and advise you on the next steps.

How to apply

If you do need to apply for a building consent for your temporary building, you’ll need to provide:

  • a completed checklist (PDF 149 kb)
  • your fire safety guidelines
  • the access and egress points
  • the number of toilets to be provided
  • the safety planning guidelines if the building will be used for an event.

Apply online

Contact details