Demolishing or relocating a house

Find out if what consents you need if you're demolishing or relocating a house in Hutt City.

If the building is detached and is less than three stories high, you don't need consent.

You’ll need a building consent if you’re planning to demolish a building that is:

  • attached to another one, or
  • more than three stories high.

You'll also need to:

  • Terminate all services such as water, sewer and stormwater
  • let providers of services such as electricity, gas, water and telecommunications know about the demolition works
  • correctly handle and dispose of hazardous materials, including asbestos
  • Control silt or runoff, excess noise and dust
  • Secure the site with barriers to restrict public access and avoid injury to the public

Depending on whether the project involves any site earthworks and on the type and structure of the building, you may also need to get a resource consent.

As well as our standard resource consent application requirements, your application must include:

  • photographs of the building being relocated
  • details of any trees or other buildings you plan to remove as part of the relocation work
  • details of any planned changes to the building structure
  • details of how you will comply with District Plan specifications for distance from boundaries, height and so on.

If you’re planning to relocate a house in Hutt City, or to move a house on the same section, you’ll need to get your consents approved first.

You will need both resource consent and building consent to relocate a house to land zoned residential.

The house’s external appearance and structure must be reinstated to a reasonable standard, and the new location will need to comply with the District Plan.

Hutt City District Plan

Talk to us before you apply for a consent. We can talk you through the process and let you know what you have to do.

When you apply for a building consent, you’ll need to provide:

  • a completed application form (PDF 511 kb)
  • a completed checklist (PDF  94 kb)
  • a site plan identifying the building to be demolished
  • a drainage plan showing where existing services will be capped
  • the site management plan (also known as the demolition plan).
  • Apply now

Contact details