Installing a pool

Find out how to install a pool on your property and what consents you might need.

The rules around installing a pool

You'll need to get a building consent if you want to install or build a pool. This is because installing a pool fence is considered building work under the Building Act 2004.

When you apply for a building consent via Objective Build, you’ll need to provide:

  • A completed and signed application form (completed in Objective Build)
  • plans of the pool location and fence location
  • the construction and installation details
  • a copy of your property’s Certificate of Title.

All residential pools (including small heated pools such as spa pools or hot tubs) are required by law to have physical barriers that restrict access, to keep unsupervised young children safe around them.

Pool barriers must comply with the pool safety provisions enacted by the Building Act 2004.

Pool inspections

Your pool barriers must be inspected at least once every 3 years. This doesn't apply to small heated pools (i.e. spa pools) if they have a proper covering.

We'll send you an inspection reminder when you're due for an inspection. You can choose to have the inspection performed by either an Independently Qualified Pool Inspector (IQPI) or Council's Swimming Pool Officer.

Note: You can also ask for an inspection any time on your pool area, to make sure you're following the pool safety legislation.

Book a pool inspection by an IQPI

Book a Hutt City Council pool inspection

New pools

For new pools, we inspect the pool and fence as part of the building consent process. Our swimming pool officer must inspect and approve the pool fence before we issue a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC).

How much it costs

Pool inspection fees are listed on our Building Consent  charges and fees list

For more information

Contact details