Report roaming stock

If you want to report a wandering animal, your first point of contact will depend on what sort of animal it is.

HCC Animal Services staff mainly deal with wandering dogs and stock (such as a sheep, pig or goat), so if it fits into that category please give us a call on 570 6666. There is a 24/7 service for reporting such issues.

Phoning will provide the fastest response.

If it is some other sort of animal (e.g. a cat, a rabbit or even a bird) you are concerned about, please contact the SPCA on 04 389 8044

If it is a situation where an animal poses a danger to the public, for example it is running loose on the motorway, please call the Police.

What we need to know

  • type of animal
  • approximate size
  • colour
  • any distinguishing features
  • when and where you last saw it.

If it is safe to do so, take a photo and let Hutt City Council customer services know you have a photo of the animal.