Offensive trades

If you're starting up, taking over or renewing a registration for offensive trade premises, you'll need to register with us.

Before you apply for registration, you need to make sure you have correct resource consent and building consent for your business. Depending on your needs, you may need us to inspect the premises before you make an application. We recommend you get in touch with us first.

Check if the premises has a consent – for new premises only

You'll need to contact our environmental consents team to ensure the business you are proposing is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.

Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection – for new and existing premises

You'll need to contact our building consents team if you're planning to make structural changes or intending to change how the building is used.

Get your trade waste sorted before you apply

Our trade waste team can help you assess whether you need consent to dispose of your waste. The premises may also have specific trade waste requirements.

Arrange an inspection with us. We'll look at the maintenance of the premises, refuse storage and disposal and vermin/insect control.

When you are ready to apply:

  1. Fill in and save one of the following forms:
  2. Get the following ready to submit with your application form:
    • any Resource consents you've received as part of this application
    • a Code of Compliance certificate if you received one as part of the application
    • the appropriate fee for your application, we'll advise you of the correct amount before you apply
  3. Email your completed application form along with any relevant attachments.
  4. Once your application has been processed, we'll send you a Certificate of Registration.

How long it takes to process your application can vary depending on your situation and requirements.

Costs will vary between different types of registrations.

We levy an establishment fee for new premises, because setting up new premises involves more inspection visits.

Fees and charges

  1. Each year we'll send you an invoice and a filled-in application form.
  2. You can either:
    1. renew your registration online - you will need your health registration and invoice numbers.
    2. make changes to the paper form, sign it and come in to pay for it at our front counter at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
  3. We'll send you a new Certificate of Registration once we receive your application form and fee.