Planning roadworks and disruptions

Find out how to request permission for road works or closures.

If you're planning roadworks or any kind of traffic or road-related activity that affects public roads, talk to us about what permissions you may need first.

Before you carry out public road works in Lower Hutt, contractors must obtain plans showing the location of existing services at the proposed work site. Contractors can get these plans from beforeUdig.


Closing a road for more than 5 minutes without permission is illegal. You can be fined if you don't get Council approval.

We follow a process for granting special approval to temporarily close a road to vehicles and/or pedestrians. This means you can hold your event safely under an approved TMP compliantly.

To get a permit you'll need to:

  • Let us know in writing at least 3-6 months before the event.
  • Talk with all affected residents and or businesses. You need to provide proof to Council that you've done this.
  • Council will publicly advertise the closure to allow for objections.
  • Contact a registered contractor to request a Temporary Traffic Management Plan (TMP). A TMP is required as part of the formal application to Council for a temporary road closure or event. The plan must meet the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management. You can find TMP forms on the NZTA website.

Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management

NZTA website

If you plan to carry out work on Hutt City roads, read the latest national and local specifications that set out our requirements:

If road resurfacing work is planned for your street, we'll let you before the work starts. This includes what date(s) we're planning to do the work, and any parking or access restrictions.

Here are the scheduled plans for road works in Hutt City. These plans may change to accommodate scheduling.

Road Resurfacing and Rehabilitation Sites

For urgent road closures that affect traffic, go to our Facebook page.

Hutt City Facebook page