Find out how parking works in Hutt City.
Free parking in Hutt City
Public parking outside Hutt City CBD is generally free. Make sure you're following the road rules and that you're legally parked, otherwise you could get a parking ticket.
There are a small number of 15 and 60-minute parking spaces (P15, P60) provided free of charge throughout the metered areas in the CBD.
Most parking in the CBD is free after 5pm. Check the closest Pay and Display machine for current time limits or charges.
Parking on Saturdays is free and unrestricted except for the Riverbank Car Park and HC2 shopper zones.
- Parking in HC2 parks on Saturdays is free, but a P120 time limit applies.
- Parking in the Riverbank Car Park costs $2 per hour or $4 all day maximum charge on Saturdays. You can pay at the meters or use your monthly pass. The paid parking period runs from 7am to 2pm on Saturdays.
Parking on Sundays and public holidays is free and there are no time limits.
Paid parking in Hutt City CBD
We run pay and display metered parking in the Hutt City CBD. These areas are clearly signposted.
The metered area includes Market Grove (at the southern end of the CBD) to Downer Street (at the northern end), bounded by Cornwall Street and the Riverbank car park.
- Stevens Grove, parallel parks
- Knights Road – Bunny Street to Laings Road
- Queens Drive – Laings Road to Fraser Street
- Fraser Street
- High Street – Fraser Street to Laings Road
- High Street – Laings Road to Waterloo Road
- Ward Street
- Market Grove, north side
- Knights Road, south side – Bloomfield Terrace to Myrtle Street
- Myrtle Street, east side angle parking – Knights Road to Laings Road
- Andrews Avenue
- Dudley Street
- Daly Street – Margaret Street to Andrews Avenue
- Rutherford Street, south end
- High Street – Waterloo Road to Downer Street
- Cornwall Street – Pretoria Street to Kings Crescent
- Cornwall Street, west side – Waterloo Road to Kings Crescent
- Pretoria Street - west end within CBD
- Raroa Road – east of Cornwall Street
- Kings Crescent - Cornwall Street to Queens Drive
- Osborne Place
- Queens Drive – Kings Crescent to Waterloo Road
- Queens Drive – Laings Road to Waterloo Road
- Waterloo Road – Bloomfield Terrace to Queens Drive
- Waterloo Road – Queens Drive to High Street
- Bloomfield Terrace – Kings Crescent to Knights Road
- The Pavilion car park- Laings Road
- Laings Road – Queens Drive to Myrtle Street
- Laings Road – High Street to Queens Drive
- Bunny Street
- Margaret Street
- Fountain car park (Laings Road)
- Myrtle Street, west side – Laings Road to Knights Road
- Stevens Grove, angle parking portion
- Rutherford Street, south of Queens Drive
- Raroa Road – High Street to Cornwall Street
- Cornwall Street, east side – Kings Crescent to Waterloo Road
- Cornwall Street – Waterloo Road to Knights Road
- Knights Road – Cornwall Street to Bloomfield Terrace
- Knights Road, north side – Myrtle Street to Bloomfield Terrace
- Market Grove, south side
- Myrtle Street South (Huia Street to Laings Road)
Riverbank car park
High Street in Petone is the only street for residents' parking in Hutt City.
This means you have to have a resident's parking permit to park there. If you don't have a permit displayed on your windscreen, you will get a ticket. To apply for a permit, send us an email with your proof of address.
Parking in Petone
There are many free parking spaces on side streets around Jackson St. that are perfect for people who want to experience the shopping and eateries in Petone.
There is also plenty of metered parking spaces in the Petone shopping district.
Bike parking and lockers
Metlink provides free bike parking at train stations. They are first come first serve, and are for day use only.
Reserved lockers or sheds are available at some train stations. You might need to pay a deposit and there is a wait list.