High St Intersection Upgrades
Te Awa Kairangi ki Tai Lower Hutt is seeing an increase in our population. We will have more people moving around the city, and more pressure on our existing transport system. We need a transport network that is safe, efficient, connects communities, provides access to social opportunities, contributes to the growth of the economy, and enables people to thrive.
- Safe navigation and dedicated traffic light phases for side road traffic leaving both intersections
- Safe signal-controlled pedestrian crossings on all sides
- Ability to cope with traffic growth and future needs
- Adding traffic lights to the intersection
- Adding a raised intersection platform
- New accessibility ramps/footpath
- Traffic signs with ‘30km/h’ entry
- Replacing the existing zebra crossings with signalised crossings
- Adding two new carparks
- Removing 10 carparks
If you have any questions regarding these plans, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
We need to remove carparks to allow appropriate space for motorist’s manoeuvres/navigation, installation of signal poles, installation of raised intersection platforms, and a new accessible ramp/footpath.
Boulcott Street: We will be removing 10 existing car parks (red) and adding two new spaces (blue)
- Five carparks outside Hutt Hospital (High Street)
- Three carparks outside Twist Café (High Street)
- Two carparks outside Brew’d Boulcott (Boulcott Street)
- Two new parks outside Hutt Hospital (High Street)
Mitchell Street: We will be removing 10 existing car parks (red)
- Five carparks outside After-Hours Medical, Burger Wisconsin and Pepe’s Pizza Parlour (High Street)
- Two carparks outside Bella Vita Hairdressing/Gifts on High/Reel Fish (702 High Street)
- Two carparks outside properties 706/708 High Street
- One carpark outside properties 684/696 High Street as the existing bus stop (8224 Boulcott Village) needs to be moved slightly forward.
Pending confirmation of contractors, we expect construction to start late October 2023 and finish in January 2024. However, given the importance of this corridor we will carefully consider timeframes to keep construction impacts to a minimum.
Based on traffic modelling we don't expect these interventions to create a delay, but they will reduce wait time for those entering High Street from Boulcott & Mitchell Streets. The upgraded intersections will allow for safe navigation and dedicated phases for side road traffic, safe pedestrian crossings on all sides, and the ability to cope with traffic growth.
The 8224 Boulcott Village bus stop near the Mitchell Street intersection will move slightly south to allow for the intersection upgrade. The carpark outside of 684/696 High Street will be removed to allow for this.
There is no impact to the 8123 Hutt Hospital bus stop on High Street.