If you're planning to open a new hairdressing salon or take over an existing salon you need to register with us. You'll need to renew your registration annually.
Before you apply for registration, you need to make sure you have a correct resource consent and a building consent for your business. Depending on your requirements, you may need us to inspect the premises before you make an application. We recommend that you get in touch with us.
Check if the premises are consented (for new premises)
You'll need to contact our resource consents team to ensure that a hairdressing premises is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.
Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection – for new and existing premises
You'll need to contact our building consents team if you're planning to make structural changes or intending to change how the building is used, such as changing a gift shop to a hairdressing salon.
Read the information sheet on setting up a hairdresser salon (PDF 222 Kb).
Arrange an inspection with us. We'll look at the maintenance of the premises, sterilisation processes and storage of chemicals.
When you are ready to apply:
- Fill in one of the following forms:
- New hairdressing premises: Application for a New Premises Registration (PDF 287 kb)
- Transfer of existing hairdressing premises: Application for a Transfer of Existing Registration (PDF 168 kb)
- Get the following ready to submit with your application:
- any resource consents you may have received as part of this application
- a Code of Compliance Certificate if you've received one
- the appropriate fee for your application, we’ll advise you of the correct amount before you apply.
- Email your completed application form along with any relevant attachments.
- Once the application has been processed we will send you your Certificate of Registration.
How long it takes to process your application can vary depending on your situation and requirements.
Costs will vary between different types of registrations.
We levy an establishment fee for new premises because setting up new premises involves more inspection visits.
- Each year we'll send you an invoice and a filled-in application form.
- You can either:
- renew your registration online - you will need your health registration and invoice numbers.
- make changes to the paper form, sign it and come in to pay for it at our front counter at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
- We'll send you a new Certificate of Registration once we receive your application form and fee.