Apply for a manager's certificate

Find out why you need a Manager's Certificate to sell alcohol and how to get one.

Why you need a Manager's Certificate

Anyone intending on being a manager of licensed premises such as a bar, supermarket, hotel, tavern or a club will need to apply for a manager's certificate.

You'll need someone with a manager's certificate to be on the premises any time you plan to sell alcohol.

You also need to tell us when you either hire or dismiss a certificated manager at your premises.

All applicants must be at least 20 years of age and it is expected that they will have a minimum 6 months experience working in the style of premises for which the certificate is being sought.

If you'd like advice or help through the application process, we recommend making an appointment to see a licensing inspector. They can talk you through the paperwork and explain Council's policies.

The Health Promotion Agency has developed two guides which you can find at The guides are designed to help people applying for a licence, preparing for a District Licensing Committee hearing, or objecting to the grant of a licence.

Get in touch with us to set up a meeting. Please give at least one business day's notice so we can arrange your appointment.

Request an appointment with a licensing inspector

Go to the right district licensing committee

You should only apply to Hutt City Council (your local district licensing committee) if your business is based within the boundaries of Lower Hutt. This includes:

  • Wainuiomata
  • Petone
  • Eastbourne.

A new manager’s certificate expires after 12 months. Renewals expire after three years. It is the applicant's responsibility to apply for a renewal before the expiry date.

Make a new application

To make an application you'll need to complete the Manager's Certificate form (PDF 326 kb) and email it to

Along with your application, please show us:

  • Evidence of prior sale of alcohol experience
  • Details of any specific premises which you will manage
  • A copy of your driver licence or passport
  • 2 written character references
  • Proof you've passed the Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ)
  • Details of any convictions you may have.

Renewing a manager’s certificate

To apply to renew a manager's certificate you'll need to:

  1. Complete the Application for renewal of Manager's Certificate (PDF 316 kb)
  2. Email it to along with details of any specific premises the applicant will manage.

Change of manager

A licensee must notify us when they appoint a certificated manager or when they cancel or terminate the employment of a certificated manager.

A licensee may appoint a temporary manager or an acting manager (depending on circumstances) if the certificated manager is ill, absent, dismissed or resigns.

In each case, you must complete a Notice of Management Change form (PDF 48 kb)

Once we've received your completed application, we run a Police check.

If we don't receive any objections, we'll then approve your application. If objections are received your application may require a hearing.

The following diagrams show the alcohol licence application process, and how long each step can take:

New applications will take at least six weeks for uncontested applications. If the application is contested it can take much longer to process.

We need a minimum of 20 working days to process your renewal application.

What you have to pay for your licence depends on many things like the type of premise you operate and your risk category.

Fees and charges

Information contained in your application and any supporting information will be held by Hutt City Council to enable your application to be processed under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

Information regarding this application will be made available to the public on request. The information will be provided to the:

  • Lower Hutt District Licensing Committee,
  • Police,
  • Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority,
  • Council’s Licensing Inspectors, and
  • Medical Officer of Health

This information may form part of a public hearing of your application before the Lower Hutt District Licensing Committee and may be used in the Committee’s decision for your application.

You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at or at our customer service front desk at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.