Change your information

Find out what you need to do if you're moving, changing ownership of your dog, or your dog has died.

Change of ownership

If you get a dog that is registered under another owner’s name, or you are giving your dog to someone else, you must fill out our online form within 14 days. This service is free of charge.

Change of Dog Ownership Application

Change of address

If you're moving to a new address within Lower Hutt, out of Lower Hutt, or if you would like your postal address changed please email within 14 days.

If you are moving to Lower Hutt from another area, you can transfer your registration for free. Please fill out our online registration form and make sure you let your previous council know of your move.

Dog Registration Form

Let us know in writing within 14 days. Email:

You can be infringed $500.00 under section 49 of the Dog Control Act for failure to notify Council of a change in address.

Let us know if your dog has died

If your dog has died, you may be entitled to a refund of your registration costs.

Under the Dog Control Act 1996, the refund will be a pro-rata amount calculated from the date you tell us that your dog has died.

The registration can be refunded:

  • to a bank account
  • to your rates account
  • as a donation to SPCA or HUHA.

Simply fill out this online form.

Dog registration fee refund request form

You must provide proof of death if you have a vet certificate.

If your request is approved, the refund will be paid by the end of the month after you apply.

Contact details