Renew your alcohol licence

We'll send you reminders close to the licence renewal date. It's your responsibility to apply for a renewal before the expiry date, and to put up public notices.

You'll need to go through the same public notification process as above.

  1. Fill in the relevant form based on the type of licence you're applying for:
    1. On-licence renewal and/or variation application form (PDF 1.85MB)
    2. Off-licence renewal and/or variation application form (PDF 803KB)
    3. Club licence renewal and/or variation application form (PDF 741 KB)
  2. Get the supporting documents ready – these are outlined on the first page of the form. For On-licence, Off-licence and Club licence applications (including renewals) you'll need to attach a Certificate of Use. Make sure your supporting documents are A4 sized.
  3. Email your completed application form with all supporting documents to
  4. Once we’ve received your application, we'll let you know if you need to supply extra information to support your application.

Once we've checked both the public notification forms, you are required to:

  • Advertise:
    • in the Hutt News – notification gets posted on two separate days, or
    • on the Hutt City Council Website.
  • Put public notification up on your premises (shop window).

If you are advertising in the Hutt News, you need to send us the newspaper page with the public notice(s) in it.

For premises

Once we've received your completed application, we'll get reports from Police and Medical Officer of Health. If we don't receive any objections we'll then approve your application. If objections are received your application may require a hearing.

How long it takes

The following diagrams show the alcohol licence application process, and how long each step can take:

For manager certificates and licences

Licence renewal applications can take six weeks for uncontested applications. Contested applications can take much longer.

We require a minimum of twenty working days to process a Managers Certificate renewal application

How much a licence renewal costs depends on the type of premises you're operating and risk categories.

Fees and charges

Information contained in your application and any supporting information will be held by Hutt City Council to enable your application to be processed under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. Information regarding this application will be made available to the public on request. The information will be provided to the:

  • Lower Hutt District Licensing Committee,
  • Police,
  • Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority,
  • Council’s Licensing Inspectors, and
  • Medical Officer of Health

This information may form part of a public hearing of your application before the Lower Hutt District Licensing Committee and may be used in the Committee’s decision for your application.

You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at or at our customer service front desk at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.