Find out about roadside advertising or putting up signage at election time.
If you need to put up a sign advertising a 'community based event', you can either apply for a temporary advertising in consented locations or hire one of the Council's signboards.
To apply for temporary advertising, fill out the form. It comes with an information sheet.
Application form for temporary advertising (PDF 132 KB).
Maps of approved sites for temporary advertising (PDF 12.3 MB)
Candidates standing for 2022 local government elections wanting to put up hoardings on our approved sites can apply to use our election hoarding temporary advertising in consented locations.
To apply for election hoardings, fill out our form
- Election Hoarding maps (Multipage PDF 14MB)
- Election Hoardings (Desktop) Interactive Map
- Election Hoardings (Mobile friendly) Interactive Map
How to use Council signboards
We have four double-sided roadside signboards located throughout Lower Hutt. Their purpose is to increase city vibrancy and boost destination awareness.
Signboards run from Monday to Sunday (no less than six days). All signs are changed on a Monday. If the Monday is a public holiday, we'll change the sign on the next working day.
You can hire our signboards to create awareness of upcoming community events and programmes such as:
- arts and culture events
- public conventions and conferences, and
- fundraising events open to the general public.
We'll also consider bookings for events taking place in Upper Hutt or Wellington, but are significant to the Wellington Region. Events taking place in Lower Hutt will be prioritised over these.
You can't hire the signboards for:
- events that have not been confirmed yet
- appeals or community health messages
- advertising a company, business or product (unless relating to a festival or event such as Wellington On a Plate).
- Ewen Bridge on the corner of Victoria and Railway Avenue Intersection
- Waione Street Bridge, Seaview
- Cambridge Terrace, Naenae
- Kennedy Good Bridge, Avalon Park
Signboards are defined as Side A, which is the traffic direction side of the road and Side B, on the non-traffic direction side of the road. You can hire signboards either individually or as a set (eg. Side A across all four locations).
Signboards can be booked for a minimum period of one week and a maximum period of two weeks for one event / programme. This is keeps these signboards current and relevant.
To request a booking fill out our signboard request form. We'll give you a quote within five working days.
We'll send you an invoice in the month after the signboards have been erected. This must be paid within seven days, unless you've made other arrangements with Council.
You'll need to supply us with your artwork so we can make the signboards for you.
Signboard artwork approval is at the discretion of Council.
All signboards are 2.4m wide x 1.2m high and digitally printed on adhesive material which is wrapped over the metal hoardings on the signboard.
You must follow these specifications for any artwork you supply:
- Lettering on the sign can't be smaller than 150mm for the main message and 75mm for any secondary message.
- The sign must not resemble a traffic sign or other traffic control device.
The hire fee per week includes installation and removal costs. All prices are exclusive of GST.
Total price for hiring = weekly hire fee + production costs + GST.
|Number of signboards||Side A hire per week||Side A production per booking||Side B hire per week||Side B production per booking|
|One signboard||$100 - $140||$160||$100 - $140||$160|
|All four signboards||$520||$640||$440||$640|