Responsible dog owner licence

We want to encourage and support responsible dog ownership, so we offer reduced dog registration fees for people who can show they are responsible dog owners.

How to be a responsible dog owner

To apply to become a responsible dog owner you can either:

  • complete our online application
  • pay online or pay in person at our offices at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt; or the Animal Services office at 21 Meachen Street, Seaview.

Responsible Dog Owner application

You will be recognised as a responsible dog owner (RDO) if you meet the following conditions and requirements:

  • your dog is currently vaccinated
  • your annual dog registration fees are paid on time
  • your dog is microchipped
  • your property is fully fenced and gated; anyone entering the property has free access without encountering your dog
  • in the last year, your dog has not been impounded, been the subject of a substantiated public complaint, or received an infringement notice
  • you have not received any convictions under the Dog Control Act 1996 (including 2003 amendment)
  • you can demonstrate to an Animal Control Officer your dog can be controlled on and off the leash, and in different situations
  • you are aware of your obligations as a dog owner under the Dog Control Act 1996 and Hutt City Council Control of Dog Bylaws

Refer to our to our fees and charges list for the application fee for RDO status. This is a one-off fee for your dog(s) that then reduces your future re-registration fees.

Note: Before you apply, make sure you meet the responsible dog owner (RDO) criteria set out above. There is no refund if we decline your RDO application.

If you already have responsible dog ownership, you don't need to reapply each year. However, you will lose your RDO status and have to reapply if you:

  • are late paying your dog re-registration fees
  • don't maintain RDO requirements
  • do not have a registered dog in your ownership and care for a period of 12 months or more.

For the discount to take effect in your next invoice, you need to submit your RDO application by 30 April of that year.

We'll process any applications we receive after 30 April, from August onwards. We'll apply any discount earned to your next registration period.

If you move to a new address in Hutt City, you’ll need to send a completed Application to Transfer Responsible Dog Owner Status form to keep your RDO status.

Contact details