If you're planning to open a camping ground or are purchasing an existing camping ground, you'll need to register with us.

Before you apply for registration, you need to make sure you have:

  • a correct resource consent and,
  • a building consent for your business.

Depending on your requirements, we many need to inspect the premises before you apply. Get in touch with us first.

Check if the premises are consented (for new premises)

You'll need to contact our resource consents team to ensure that a campground is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.

Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection (for new and existing premises)

You'll need to contact our building consents team if you plan to make structural changes or change how a building is used.

While you prepare your application, you'll need to speak to us about your requirements. Please get in touch to talk to us to arrange an inspection.

We'll look at:

  • the cleanliness of the premises
  • refuse storage and disposal
  • lighting
  • water supply
  • ablution and sanitary fixtures
  • cooking places
  • laundry facilities
  • vermin/insect control.

When you're ready apply:

  1. Fill in the relevant forms:
    1. New camping ground premises
      Application for Registration (PDF 309 kb)
    2. Existing camping ground premises
      Application for a Transfer of Existing Registration (PDF 168 kb)
  2. Get the following ready to submit with your application:
    1. any resource consents you may have received as part of this
    2. a Code of Compliance Certificate if it applies to you
    3. the appropriate fee for your application, we will advise you of the correct amount before you apply.
  3. Email your completed application form along with any relevant attachments.
  4. Once we've processed your application, we'll send you a Certificate of Registration.

The time it takes to process your application can vary depending on your situation and requirements.

Costs will vary between different types of registrations.

We levy an establishment fee for new premises, because setting up new premises involves more inspection visits.

Fees and charges

  1. Each year we'll send you an invoice and a filled-in application form.
  2. You can either:
    1. renew your registration online - you will need your health registration and invoice numbers.
    2. make changes to the paper form, sign it and come in to pay for it at our front counter at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
  3. We'll send you a new Certificate of Registration once we receive your application form and fee.