Vehicle crossings

Find out how to improve vehicle access to your property by adding a vehicle crossing or ‘run-up’ across the footpath and kerb.

Residential vehicle crossing

This is the standard crossing used to access a single residential property. It's usually done by building a standard concrete driveway, which must be paid for by the property owner.

We maintain driveways from the edge of the road to the back of the footpath where footpaths are constructed. If there are no footpaths the property owner maintains the driveway.

Note: Once a driveway is installed, it may need maintenance work or complete replacement to keep it to an acceptable standard.

Before construction

If you want to park off the road on your private property, you need to have an approved vehicle access from the public road to your property boundary.

If you arrange for your own experienced contractor to do the work, it is their responsibility to find out where all the underground cables and services are on the site. That includes services such as:

  • sewer
  • stormwater
  • water supply
  • gas
  • power
  • telecommunications.

If your crossing is being installed by Council's contractor, it's their responsibility to check your site and do the work safely.Note: It's very dangerous to dig near underground power cables. If your contractors dig into other services, you'll have to pay for any damage done.

How to install vehicle crossings

We'll arrange for our own contractors to carry out the work.

Payment is a fee based on a rate of $216.00 per square metre (inclusive of GST), plus an administration charge of $173.00 (inclusive of GST) for each application.

Traffic Management Cost is additional and will be advised during quotation.

If you make private arrangements with a contractor for the installation of your crossings, they need to meet these requirements:

  • You must obtain a copy of the standard plan and specifications for a residential/heavy duty vehicle crossings: on the link above or you can find these at our offices, 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
  • You need to make a refundable deposit of $325.00 for residential, or $550.00 for heavy duty/extra heavy duty.
  • We'll inspect the base for the vehicle crossing before the crossing is poured, let us know before you carry this out.
  • You need to pay an inspection fee of $216.00.
  • On completion of the crossing, let us know so we can check that it has been built to standard.

Once the crossing is completed in accordance with our standards, we'll refund your $325.00/$550.00 deposit.

If the crossing doesn't meet the required standard, we reserve the right to fix the issue and charge you for the cost.

Standard Plan for residential crossing (PDF 100 kb)

Application for residential vehicle crossing (PDF 47 kb)

Information on constructing residential vehicle crossings (PDF 269 kb)

You can use interlocking concrete block vehicle crossings, but you have to use an independent contractor to do so.

The overall form of the crossing must conform to the plans for the standard crossings.

Contact us for details about the construction requirements. The same fee payment and inspection criteria apply as for standard crossings.

If the crossing is shared by more than two residential properties, or if it's used by heavy trade vehicles, you'll need a heavy duty vehicle crossing.

Standard Plan for heavy duty crossing (PDF 110 kb)

Application for heavy duty vehicle crossing (PDF 49 kb)

This type of crossing suits locations that are regularly accessed by heavy trade vehicles. Crossings of this sort should be installed by a concrete placement contractor.

Standard Plan for extra heavy duty crossing (PDF 116 kb)

Application for extra heavy duty vehicle crossing (PDF 43 kb)

Where it's not possible construct Council's standard dished type vehicle crossing, you'll need to get our Road Asset Engineer's approval before you start work on the crossing.

Requirements for vehicle access in hill and rural areas (PDF 43 kb)

Contact details

T: 04 570 6666