Object to an alcohol licence

Find out if you’re eligible to make an objection and how to do it.

You can object to a new or renewal licence application if you can show that you have 'greater interest' than the public.

People with greater interest are likely to be more directly affected by the licence than most other people. If you live or work near the premises you could be in a position of greater interest.

Someone who lives 2 kilometres away and has general concerns about the effects of alcohol on the community is not likely to have 'greater interest'.

You can object to an alcohol licence based on (and only on) any of the following criteria:

  • The object of the Act
  • Suitability of the applicant
  • Any relevant local alcohol policy
  • The days and hours of sale
  • The design and layout of premises
  • The sale of goods other than alcohol and refreshments.
  • The provision of other services not related to the sale of alcohol and refreshments.
  • Whether amenity and good order of the area would be substantially reduced.
  • The undesirability of further licences where amenity and good order have already been reduced.
  • Whether the applicant has systems, staff and training to comply with the law.
  • Any matters reported by the Police, an inspector or the Medical Officer of Health.

For new licence applications, where the premises already has a licence of the same kind (because of a change in ownership), your objection can only relate to suitability of the applicant. This is covered in s.102 (4A) of the Act.

You can find more information about what you can object to, and how to make an objection, on the Health Promotion Agency website.

Objections can be submitted by post or email:

  • Post: Secretary, Hutt City District Licensing Committee, Bag 31912 Lower Hutt 5040
  • Email: SOL@huttcity.govt.nz

You need to include the following information in your objection:

  • the name and location of the proposed premises
  • why you have an interest that is greater than the general public
  • your reasons for objecting
  • your name, address and contact details
  • your signature.

Objections must be filed within 15 working days after the public notice appears in the newspaper. Working days do not include:

  • weekends
  • public holidays
  • the dates 20 December to 15 January inclusive.

  1. We’ll contact you to let you know we've received your objection.
  2. A copy of your objection in its entirety will be provided to the applicant, Police and Medical Officer of Health.
  3. The District Licensing Committee (DLC) will then consider all of the objections that have been submitted.
  4. If the DLC believes that your objection meets the Act’s criteria, it will invite you to speak at the hearing. Hearings are usually held at Council offices. You don’t have to speak at the hearing, but if your objection is based on things that you’ve seen and heard yourself, we recommend that you do.