Appearance industries

If you're planning to open a new appearance industry business or take over an existing business you need to register with us. You'll need to renew your registration annually.

About appearance industries

Appearance industries include beauty enhancement therapy treatments, including nails and waxing, skin and body piercing, and tattooing.

Appearance industries are now regulated via Council bylaw. You will need to register your premises with Council annually, unless your activity is exempt. Council can also issue a licence for combined Appearance Industries and Hairdressers, who carry out both activities.

Read our bylaw and code of practice.

The Code of Practice that we have for the appearance industry bylaw is written in fairly legal language. We've created a series of summaries in ‘plain English’ that operators will find easier to use.

Please note that summary sheets are provided only for information and does not replace or supplement the Hutt City Council Bylaw Code of Practice.

MS 1A Permanent premises

MS 1B Mobile or temporary premises

MS 2 Operator conduct

MS 3 Piercing of the skin

MS 3A Body piercing

MS 3B Tattooing

MS 3C Traditional tools tattooing

MS 3D Acupuncture

MS 3E Electrolysis - Red vein treatment - Derma rolling

MS 4 Risk of breaking the skin

MS 4A Hair removal

MS 4B Manicure - Pedicure

MS 4C Exfoliation

MS 5 Pulsed light and laser treatment

Before you apply for registration, you need to make sure you have a correct resource consent and a building consent for your business. Depending on your requirements, you may need us to inspect the premises before you make an application. We recommend that you get in touch with us.

Check if the premises are consented (for new premises)

You'll need to contact our resource consents team to ensure that an appearance industry premises is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.

Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection – for new and existing premises

You'll need to contact our building consents team if you're planning to make structural changes or intending to change how the building is used, such as changing a gift shop to an appearance industry business.

When you are ready to apply:

  1. Fill in one of the following forms:
  2. Get the following ready to submit with your application:
    1. any resource consents you may have received as part of this application
    2. a Code of Compliance Certificate if you've received one.
  3. Email your completed application form along with any relevant attachments.
  4. Once the application has been processed, we will arrange for an inspection and if approved, the Certificate of Registration will be issued.

How long it takes to process your application can vary depending on your situation and requirements.

Costs will vary between different types of registrations. An invoice will be sent to you after each annual inspection and any follow up visits.

Fees and charges

  1. Each year we'll send you an invoice and a filled-in application form.
  2. You can either:
    1. renew your registration online - you will need your health registration and invoice numbers.
    2. make changes to the paper form, sign it and come in to pay for it at our front counter at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
  3. We'll send you a new Certificate of Registration once we receive your application form and fee.