One Tag

Find out about One Tag, the only tag you'll need for your Hutt City dog.

  • We send out your One Tag when we receive your initial registration payment (when you register your dog with HCC for the first time).
  • You will receive your re-registration invoice in late May/early June as usual each year but will keep using the same tag. The annual re-registration invoice has a due date of 31 July.
  • The back of the One Tag is blank so you can get it engraved with your dog’s name or your contact details if you wish.
  • If you move out of Hutt City, you’ll need to swap this tag for a new tag at the council in the area you move to.
  • If your dog has been desexed since last year, you will need to provide a copy of the desexing certificate so we can amend the invoice before you pay.

Note: If any of the details showing on the invoice are incorrect, you no longer have your dog or you’re not living in Lower Hutt anymore, please update the invoice and return to us by email at

If you lose your One Tag, you can buy a replacement one at any of these locations:

  • Main Admin Building, 30 Laings Rd, Lower Hutt
  • Animal Services Building, 21 Meachen St, Seaview
  • Koraunui Stokes Valley Community Hub, 186 Stokes Valley Road, Stokes Valley
  • Wainuiomata Community Hub, 1a–1c Queen Street, Wainuiomata

Or you can order a replacement One Tag online.

Since we introduced the One Tag in 2021 we have made improvements to the quality and durability of the metal tag.

We will replace dog tags free of charge if tags fail due to durability. e.g. the paint wears off or the ring hole wears out. We just require evidence of the failure, a photo will provide this.

If you have any questions, please contact us at (04) 570 6666 or email us at

Contact details