Registering your dog

Find out how to register your dog in Hutt City.

When to register your  dog

You must register your dog if:

  • it is over 3 months old .
  • you're moving to Hutt City with a dog.

Dog registration fees help us provide a safe and healthy community for all residents and dogs.

Council does not profit from dog registration fees - they are only used to provide a service to the city, and cannot be used for any other reason.

The fees pay for:

  • promoting care and control of over 10,000 dogs in Lower Hutt
  • patrolling public areas
  • encouraging responsible dog ownership - we have over 1,600 dog owners with Responsible Dog Owner status in Lower Hutt
  • maintaining national dog database records
  • responding to public enquiries about dogs (in 2019 we received over 3,700 calls about dogs)
  • providing education to schools and other groups free of charge
  • establishing and maintaining dog parks and off-leash exercise areas.

Before you apply to register your dog for the first time, make sure you have this information:

  • Desexing certificate – if your dog has been desexed
  • Microchip number – if your dog has been microchipped
  • Your company name and GST number – if you have a working dog
  • Adoption certificate – if you have adopted a dog from the SPCA or HUHA
  • Customs clearance certificate – if you have imported a dog
  • Certification from an authorised organisation – if you have a disability assist dog

Note: If your dog has been desexed, you'll need a photograph or scanned copy of your dog’s desexing certificate. You can upload this to your online application or bring it to us at our main building, 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.

Register your dog

When to re-register your dog

Dogs must be re-registered with us by 31 July every year. If you miss your payment, you'll have to pay a fee.

If you have a Responsible Dog Owner Status, your fee is a lot less.

You can pay the re-registration fee online via credit card. Note: we no longer accept cheques.

You can re-register and pay for your dog(s) online.

To renew your dog registration, you need your Dog ID and Person ID from your invoice.

If you have more than one dog, you can re-register and pay for more than one dog at a time.

Renew Online

Dog registration fees

How much you need to pay depends on the age and type of your dog, and factors like if your dog has been desexed or whether you have Responsible Dog Owner status.

There's a yearly dog registration fee that you must pay by 31 July.

Pro rata fees are available for new puppies or dogs registered for the first time, or if your dog is neutered or spayed.

View our registration fees

Once we receive your payment we'll send you your One Tag with your Dog Number that you can reuse each year.

If you lose your One Tag, you'll have to pay a fee to replace it.

One Tag

Owning more than two dogs in an urban area

If you live in an urban area and you want to keep more than 2 dogs over the age of 3 months, you need to apply online for a special licence and pay a $67.00 fee.

Special dog license application form

Payments can be made over the phone with a credit card or at the following council buildings

  • Main admin office, 30 Laings Rd, Lower Hutt City Council
  • Koraunui Stokes Valley Community Hub, 184 Stokes Valley Road, Stokes Valley
  • Wainuiomata Community Hub, 1A Queen Street, Wainuiomata
  • Animal Services, 21 Meachen St, Seaview

Contact details